How can an animal without eyes or a nose respond to smells and light? What is the stimulus in this experiment and what is the response? In this activity students investigate using live worms and a variety of stimuli to see how they respond.
- How do worms respond to chemical stimuli?
- How do worms respond to light?
- How do worms respond to darkness?
- Worms' nervous systems respond to stimuli
- Worms respond to light stimuli
- Worms respond to chemical stimuli
live worms, moist soil, tray, vinegar, flashlight, cotton swabs, cardboard
purchase or collect worms
About 20–30 minutes, longer with included writing assignment
Yes! Plus extensive teacher notes address the many questions that come up. You shouldn’t have to do outside research on this topic unless you want to. Specific charts and graphic organizers have keys.
Middle School Students, Ages 11-14
- Scaffolded writing prompts & lab reporting
- Diagrams for labeling