Frequency and wavelength are connected. Here students see firsthand how adjusting one changes the other. I love it when kids engage with the phenomenon directly. One thing they'll notice is that they can't make the waves move any faster or slower just by trying. That's because wave speed is dependent on the medium and only by changing the medium can you change the speed. They'll realize that they can easily change the wavelength or the frequency but they can't change one with out changing the other.
- How are wavelength and frequency connected?
- What affects the speed of a wave?
- How can the wavelength of a wave be changed?
Topics & Concepts Addressed:
- Wavelength and wave frequency are connected.
- When frequency increases, wavelength decreases and vice versa.
- Waves travel the same speed in the same medium
rope, toy spring, ribbon or tape