Demonstrate the two types of waves: longitudinal (or compression) and transverse using springs and ropes. Toy springs can show both types but ropes and string can only show one; can you think which one? Track the movement of the wave energy and compare this to the movement of the medium.
- What are the differences between transverse and compression waves?
- What type of waves are sound waves?
- How does wave moment and particle movement (within the wave) differ?
Topics & Concepts Addressed:
- Compression and transverse waves move through media differently.
- Toy springs can show both types of waves, but ropes and string can only show transverse waves.
- Wave energy moves along a wave while the particles of the media move back and forth.
Toy spring, rope, timer, metric tape measure or meter stick