Learn to see sound! Kids will use senses other than hearing, such as sight and touch, to observe sound vibrations. Explore. Investigate using a variety of equipment--some are obvious and others are novel.
- What senses can I use to observe sound?
- How can I show sound vibrations visually?
- How can I feel sound vibrations using my voice?
Topics & Concepts Addressed:
- An object must be vibrating to make sound
- Sound vibrations can be seen
- Sound vibrations can be heard
Learn to use scientific equipment:
Tuning forks (optional)
Variety of materials including: Tuning forks, Bowl of water, Plastic wrap, Cookie sheet, Grains of rice, Guitar, Rubber bands, Paint sticks, Metal hanger, String, Thread, Button
Teaching Time About 30 mins depending on accompanying writing assignment.
Student Sheets Writing prompts in two formats