How do we keep our balance? Standing without falling requires that three sensory systems work together (sight, inner ear, and proprioception). If sight isn't available, standing upright becomes more difficult. In this activity students practice standing on one leg with eyes opened and then closed.
- What sensory systems help keep our balance?
- What happens when one or more of the systems isn't working?
- Three sensory systems help us keep our balance
- If one sensory system is compromised, the body can still remain upright
- If more than one sensory system is compromised maintaining balanace can be extremely difficult
a friend, minute timer, blindfold (optional)
About 20–30 minutes, longer with included writing assignment
Yes! Plus extensive teacher notes address the many questions that come up. You shouldn’t have to do outside research on this topic unless you want to. Specific charts and graphic organizers have keys.
Middle School Students, Ages 11-14
- Scaffolded writing prompts & lab reporting
- Diagrams for labeling