If you're studying bones and muscles and nerves in your classroom, consider the memorable experience of a chicken foot dissection. Once kids see how the dorsal and ventral tendons are arranged and how similar they are to the human hand. After this study they'll never see their hand in the same way again.
- How do muscles produce extension and flexion?
- What tendons cause the foot to flex?
- What tendons cause the foot to extend?
- Tendons connect muscles to bones
- Contracting muscles may either flex or extend limbs
raw chicken feet, dissection (or small, sharp) scissors, tray
Yes! Plus extensive teacher notes address the many questions that come up. You shouldn’t have to do outside research on this topic unless you want to. Specific charts and graphic organizers have keys.
About 20–30 minutes, longer with included writing assignment
purchase chicken feet
Middle School Students, Ages 11-14
- Scaffolded writing prompts & lab reporting
- Diagrams for labeling